My little baker has been itching to create. So while she was at school, I got out my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, laid it on the counter, and waited. When she arrived home, I whisked her into the kitchen and asked (begged) her to make them.
“Which cookies are these?” she asked.
“The AMAZING ones where we make the dough, it sits in the fridge, then we bake them the next day,” I reminded her.
“M, remember those cookies?” I turned to my oldest for some help.
“Yes! They were SOOOOO good,” crooned M. We looked at K.
K walked to the cupboard. “You know, Mom, I want to make something else,” she said, as my gooey-cookie fantasy goes up in flames. “This cake looks so yummy! And I want to make this frosting and sprinkle this on top!” (See photo for translation – except she used chocolate cake.)
Duncan and Betty have quite a grip on my baker.
And did I mention she’s a budding photographer?
Stay tuned for those cookies.
Tweaked Box Cake
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix (white cake is pictured, but K used the Devil’s Food Cake)
- Chocolate buttercream frosting (click for recipe)
- Shredded sweetened coconut
- Bake cake as directed in a 9 x 13 pan.
- Let cool completely (we made ours the day before).
- Frost with chocolate buttercream frosting.
- Sprinkle with shredded sweetened coconut.