July is the perfect time for blender soup. And this is my favorite. It’s cool and smooth with a bit of a kick – even some of the little foodies look forward to this warm weather soup. The colors also are fabulously summery – not sure if that affects the taste for everyone, but I eat with my eyes first. Serve with a crusty baguette and/or a green salad and call it a meal!
Avocado-Cucumber Soup with Shrimp
from Everyday Food
(Note: Because of the young palates in our household, we usually do without the shrimp. Another variation is to use crab instead of shrimp.)
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 minced small jalapeno chile (seeds and ribs removed for less heat, if desired)
- 1/3 cup sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 12 medium shrimp (about 6 ounces), peeled and deveined
- In a blender, combine half the cucumber and 1 avocado with the yogurt, lime juice, jalapeno, scallions, 1 tablespoon cilantro, 1 cup ice water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Puree until completely smooth. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Cut remaining avocado into 1/4-inch cubes. Stir avocado and remaining cucumber into soup. Thin with1/2 to 1 cup ice water, as desired. Season again with salt and pepper. Chill, about 1 hour.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook shrimp, turning once, until opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls; garnish with shrimp and remaining tablespoon cilantro.
- Serves 4 adults.