Anytime you mix chocolate, coconut, and sweetened condensed milk, you are pretty much guaranteed delight (and a couple of pounds). I knew from the ingredients that these bars were incredibly rich and ultimately naughty; however, I didn’t count on the wonderful texture. The whole pecans were glazed with the condensed milk so that they were slightly sticky but with a crunchy roasted flavor. And the layer of coconut was soft and almost creamy. Those elements combined with the buttery brownie crust and soft chocolate chunks made these bars absolutely irresistible.
Seven Layer Bars
adapted from Ghirardelli
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (I like salted butter in this recipe)
- 1, 20 oz package or 1 pouch Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Brownie Mix
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks
- 1 cup butterscotch chips (optional-we left these out)
- 1 1/2 cups whole pecans
- 1 1/4 cups (14 oz can) sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put stick of butter in a 13x9x2-inch pan and melt in the oven (3-5 minutes) then remove from oven.
- Sprinkle brownie mix evenly over melted butter.
- Top with coconut, butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, and pecans.
- Drizzle with sweetened condensed milk, stopping 1/4 inch from edge of pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until edges are bubbly. Cool thoroughly before cutting.
- Makes 24 2-inch bars.