Another trigger for me is coconut. And I cannot believe that my 10-year-old daughter has made macaroons before I have. The shock of K asking to make macaroons wore off two seconds after I realized that I would get to eat fresh, warm macaroons without actually working. It’s a good deal we’ve got going.
Notice how meticulously she has spaced the dough? That’s my literal girl. Very professional. Now if I could only get her to clean up the kitchen and trim her nails with such gusto, we’d be all set.
- 1 pkg. (14 oz.) Baker’s angel flake coconut
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease and flour baking sheets; set aside.
- Combine coconut, sugar, flour, and salt in large bowl. Stir in egg whites and almond extract until well blended.
- Drop coconut mixture into 36 mounds, 2 inches apart, on prepared baking sheets, using about 1 tablespoonful of the coconut mixture for each mound.
- Bake 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Immediately remove from baking sheets to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Store in tightly covered container at room temperature up to 1 week.